Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Walled City

Dai, Mei Yee and Jin are the three main characters whose lives become intertwined in this fast paced tale. Dai is hiding in the Walled City, he has 18 days left to clear his name of three murders. Mei Yee was sold by her father to a drug lord who has her locked up in a brothel. Jin followed her sister to try and save her. When Dai meets Jin, they form an unlikely friendship and soon find their goals are intersecting. Take down Longwai, get his ledger to give to the police and break out Mei Yee and the other girls. But the pieces are complicated and one wrong move could end any of their lives. I really liked this book. It is told in three voices and deals with some very real problems. It is not for a younger reader as it does deal in human trafficking and drug use. There is violence and death. Nothing it too graphic, but it is for a more mature reader. That being said, I had never heard of the Walled City and the fact that is was real makes me sad for those kids whose lives were in their own hands to save. It is still a problem today. The characters are all interesting and strong, even the cat. The story line twists and turns as you learn what brought these characters to their present condition. As summer comes to an end for me, I still see a pile of books a mile high I need to get to. Wish me luck and happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...