Sunday, September 17, 2017

Genuine Fraud

One of my favorite surprises was We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. Totally surprised by it's ending and that doesn't happen often for me. So I was super excited to see her new book was out. This is an inventively told tale. It starts in the present and goes backwards to the beginning of Jules' story. Jules is a complicated girl. She is rich and on the run. But she is also super shady. One of the most unreliable narrators I have met in a long time. Think The Talented Mr. Ripley and you'd be on the right track. As her story is revealed, the reader will realize nothing is as it seems and she certainly can't be trusted to tell the story with any truth. She is a cold character and doesn't make you like her at any point, which is always problematic for my reading tastes, but I read to the end. It's a little bit much for an average reader, most definitely need to be more on the advance end to follow the backwards plot. And for a while I wasn't sure who was who... had a moment when I thought Jules had multiple personalities. Alas- that was not the case, and all her terrible deeds were indeed her own. I can't say I liked this book, but I am glad I read it. If that makes any sense. I am back in my favorite world with Chaol Westfall now so you won't hear from me for at least 660 pages. Happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...