Sunday, August 3, 2014

Monsters

I am so glad to be done with this book. I don't know why it took so long to finish (all 671 pages of it). I loved the first book in this Ashes Trilogy. I love the characters of Tom and Ellie. And even Alex, who is no damsel in distress. But it was a tough one to get through. It was very violent and disturbing in places. But let me back up. This book is set in a post apocalyptic society, where children have 'changed' into flesh eating cannibals. But not every kid, some are immune to the disease. There are evil adults manipulating them and groups of kids who haven't changed trying to survive. The main characters are Alex, Tom and Ellie who have found each other after the event that caused the disease. They have been separated for most of the second and third books. Each experience their own adventures and troubles, only to finally meet up at the end of the trilogy. Alex is experiencing some interesting side effects of her own personal 'monster', a cancerous tumor, that seems to allow her to communicate with some of the changed. She isn't sure if this connection will put her friends in danger or if she can use it to her advantage. Tom is trying to find his way back to Alex. He is willing to sacrifice everything for her. Ellie is just trying to get back to some semblance of family, as the youngest member of the group, she longs for some stability. I don't know if I would recommend this series to everyone. It is definitely for a more mature reader who doesn't mind a little gore. Okay, a lot of gore. So read at your own risk. Summer has come to an end for me, only three days left before I go back to work. Might be time for one more read before reality sets in. Hope your summer was filled with books my friends and happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...