Sunday, August 31, 2014

Raging Star

It's been a long time my friends- back to work, things to plan, papers to grade, new students to meet. That is no reflection on this wonderful conclusion to one of my favorite trilogys. Raging Star is the final novel in the Dustlands Trilogy by Moira Young. It the story of Saba and Jack and their dream of living free in an post apocalyptic world. Saba has been through it all, and she is one tough cookie. The rebellion relies on her for its guidance. And she isn't sure if she knows what she's doing. Then there's the problem of her heartstone, it doesn't only heat up for Jack, but for the leader of the oppressors, DeMalo. Will Saba be willing to sacrifice herself to DeMalo if it means saving all those she loves. Will Jack be able to understand her betrayal? What of her family, her twin Lugh and little sister Emmi? This book is filled with betrayal, heartbreak and yes, death. Choices have consequences. Even in books. Especially in books. Not every story can have a happy ending- as much as I would like them to. But I will say this one leaves you with hope for the future for the characters who are left standing. If you loved Hunger Games and you are now older and wiser, this series may hit the spot. It is for a more advanced reader as there is no punctuation- it's stream of consciousness. The author told me it was so you could really be in Saba's head. You don't even notice it after a while as the story picks you up and carries you to New Eden. When you get there, say hi to Jack for me- he's definitely on that top ten fictional boy list I keep in my head. But don't mess with Saba- she isn't to be trifled with. Happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...