Thursday, June 20, 2013

eleanor and park

oh. my. goodness. I was waiting for my ride to the beach and didn't want to unpack the book I was reading from my bag. I had just read that John Green loved this book so I picked it up off the pile and started. Well, 15 minutes later, my ride was here and my old book was out and I was sucked into the world of eleanor and park. Two sixteen year old kids who were insecure with their places in the world. Eleanor is overweight, dresses 'differently', has bright red curly hair and lives with her 4 brothers and sisters with their abusive step father. Park is half Korean, lives with his overly affectionate parents and giant brother. When Eleanor steps on the bus for the first time, Park wants nothing to do with her because he knows the attention she will get and he likes to live under the radar. Eleanor just wants a seat on the bus. Park's good manners win out and he invites her to share his seat, not knowing how that one small gesture will change both of their lives. They slowly create a friendship fraught with obstacles. Friendship turns to love. Park will do anything for Eleanor and she can't figure out why he loves her- no, needs her. All the while she must navigate the bullying at school and more frightening, at home. When things with her stepfather come to a head, she must run for her life and the only one she can turn to is Park. But by saving her, he also knows he will lose her. This is a FANTASTIC book that is up there among my all-time favorites. I loved this book. I can't say enough nice things about it. I hope awards pour down on this author. I hope somewhere, Eleanor and Park are having their happily ever after. Run to the bookstore and pick this up. You won't regret it. I promise. Happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...