Thursday, May 15, 2014

Dreams of Gods and Monsters

Students ask me all the time what my favorite book is. I laugh. That would be like asking who my favorite students are. No, actually it is harder. I have some that are precious to me- The Scorpio Races, Eleanor and Park to name a couple. But I now have a definitive favorite series. This trilogy by Laini Taylor is exquisite. And this final piece of the puzzle, pure perfection. It has taken me a month to read. I don't know if it's because it's the end of the school year and things get crazy busy or because I needed absolute quiet to enjoy the writing in this book. Or perhaps it's because I knew it was the end  and I was savoring it. Whatever the reason, know that I enjoyed every one of the 613 pages. "Once upon a time an angel and a devil pressed their hands to their hearts and started the apocalypse" Karou and Akiva, who have literally been to hell and back with each other have reached a shaky peace. Both have done things they regret. Their people- the angels and the chimaera are enemies. But they are in love. Not sappy vampire love, but true, deep, soul crushing love. Their worlds are falling apart and only a crazy plan by Karou can bind the two sides into an alliance that could either save the world or end it. As this is the concluding book, I won't go into the whole story, you must start at the beginning with Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but know that the storyline is long and complex. But the payoff is amazing. The supporting cast of characters is back in full force. The cold, deadly Liraz, who may just fall in love. Ziri, who has given up his body to become the White Wolf to help Karou's plan. Zuz and Mik, the humans who venture into the world of the monsters to help their friend Karou and who have a few tricks up their sleeves. Strange Eliza, who may just save them all and lovely Issa, resurrected to help Karou remember who she is and where she came from. They must fight Jael, leader and EVIL father of Akiva, who has come to earth to gain weapons. But when that fight is over, they learn of another one even more dire that just may tear them apart before they even have a chance to get back together. I could go on and on, but I will just say in closing, the kids also ask me who my favorite angel character is- Patch, Daniel, Rafe, Jackson?? My new and final answer will always be Akiva. This one actually brought tears to my eyes as I sat at my desk finishing it today. I look forward to whatever Laini Taylor brings us next and to the summer of reading that is only a few weeks away. Please don't miss out on this smart, beautifully written series! I would never steer you wrong! Happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...