Thursday, June 25, 2015

Code Name Verity

As a rule, I don't like to read WW2 books. They are always heartbreaking. And sad. And they make me angry. So when people began recommending this book to me, I said "no thanks". But they were persistent and promised that I would love it. I really need to stick to my guns. It was heartbreaking. It was sad and now I am angry. This is the story of two girls in England who get involved in the war effort for the Allies. One is a pilot and the other a spy. Queenie is captured and tells the tale of her friendship with Maddie in the form of an interrogation at the hands of the Nazi's. She is clever and determined. Maddie is tough and focused. She flies planes and airmen to secret locations in awful conditions. They strike up a lovely friendship in the toughest of times. The first half of the book is Queenie/Julie's story, the second is Maddie's. Needless to say, it is not a happy ending for them. Did I like the book? Well, I couldn't put it down, I had high hopes for a sappy happily ever after ending. That's just my style. But it left me crushed. The bravery of people in war times is something I hope to never have to experience. I don't know where the courage comes from. These characters will stay with me for a while. But I will go back to my no WW2 novels for the time being. There is too much reality even in a fictional tale. I salute the actual women who risked and lost their lives fighting for the rights of others. Happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...