Thursday, July 23, 2020

Dear Martin

Next up on my quest is Dear Martin. This is also another one that probably won't work for my needs but what a great, timely story. It is the story of Justyce, an honor roll, college bound kid who is unjustly handcuffed and mistreated by the police. As he ponders what has happened to him, he writes letters to Martin Luther King Jr. asking for advice. Justyce must figure out if his "friends" and their attitudes, jokes and actions are really okay with him. He also must decide if he wants to go against his mother's wishes and date his white debate partner. While he questions all that is going on, a tragedy happens changing everything. This is the perfect book for what I am looking for, but the language and some sexual situations just won't play in my school. I will be handing this book to every kid who wants to read it- that is, if I get to hand any kid anything this year. So, loved the book, hate that the story is a reflection of what our society is going through right now. The letters to Martin are a highlight and ask some very deep, thought provoking questions. It is a must read. Happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...