Thursday, July 7, 2011

Ciao Bella!

I often think I would like to have lived in another time. And having gone to Italy a few years ago,  I realized I would always long to go back there and explore some more. Waterfall by Lisa Bergren was a combination of the two dreams. Gabi and her sister Lia are transported back in time to Siena in the 14th century. They are found by some Italian Knights and then the fun starts. The sisters are initially separated and helped by warring families. Gabi is found by Marcello Forelli, who is of course, brave, handsome and chivalrous. Naturally they fall in love even though he is promised to Romana Rossi, the daughter of one of the Nine of Siena. Oh, and the fact that Gabi isn't from the 1300's may be a stumbling block. Gabi is torn between wanting to stay with Marcello and helping Lia get home. They help capture another castle and use their 21st century skills to help plot the attack, stave off their enemies and help Marcello's older brother survive an asthma attack. Gabi finds herself the victim of a poisoning and is forced to try and get home before she dies. "Return to me" Marcello says to her... and now we wait for book two and three of the series. The sequel is out now and part three comes out in September. I really enjoyed reading about this time period in Italy as well as learning about Siena and Florence's adversarial history. I know one thing- I would definitely be up for meeting an Italian Knight... Fortes fortuna adiuvat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...