Monday, September 26, 2011

Gimme Shelter

     I've been waiting for a long time to read this book and my review may be a little biased so bear with me. I have been reading Harlan Coben's books for many years now. I love his Myron Bolitar series. The characters are like family to me. They are about sports, which I love, they take place in New Jersey, where I am originally from and they have two of my all time favorite characters in them- Myron and Win. I look forward to these books with a passion. So when I heard he was going to take Myron's nephew- a character in his last adult book, and spin him off into a young adult series, you can imagine how exciting I thought that was. (So I emailed him and told him so- and guess what- he emailed me back!  Imagine my surprise and delight when that appeared in my in box). Well let me say- well played Mr. Coben.  Shelter is filled with adventure, mystery and excitement. There is the typical Coben humor wrapped around every page. Mickey is a great character- even if he does spend much of the book making fun of his "dorky" Uncle Myron. (How dare you call Myron dorky-!!!)  Mickey is forced to live with Myron when his dad dies and his mother is sent to rehab. Mickey does not like his uncle. Mickey makes that perfectly clear every chance he gets. One day Mickey is walking past the crazy Bat Lady's house and she tells him "Your father isn't dead". Hmmm. Mickey is shocked and intrigued and much like his uncle, sets out to solve this mystery with the help of his new friends, Ema and Spoon. Is Mickey's dad alive? Where did his girlfriend Ashley disappear to? Who is the Bat Lady really? (and boy is that one a twist) And how do the Nazi's fit in with all this? I can't wait for a sequel because you really left us hanging didn't you Mr. Coben? Shelter  was well worth the wait, lived up to my expectations and left me eager to see where Mickey's adventures will lead him next -because if we know anything about the Bolitars- we know they can't let a good mystery go unsolved. So I sign off now with a satisfied *sigh* and continue my love of all things Coben. Happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...