Sunday, December 11, 2011

Dark Inside

I have found myself reading an absurd amount of dystopian YA lately. The Apocalypse, zombies, earthquakes, all the adults turned into killers. Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts is one of the darker versions. It tells the story of four teenagers, Michael, Clementine, Mason and Aries who each survive the initial event that leaves millions dead and has turned the rest into indiscriminate killers. They each have a survival story and face many horrific choices. Some act bravely, some act cowardly, but all of them try and make their way to Vancouver, where there may be a safe place to stay. The Baggers (the crazed killers) are not like the mindless zombies you may find in other books. They are smart and almost human, but possess such an evil streak you wouldn't want to run into one. There is a fifth narrator in this story, one that is an evil voice who has become part of the group. You are never told who it may be that will turn traitor. Every character has the potential to be that person. The body count in this book is high and it is not for the weak of stomach or heart. Don't get too attached to any of the characters because they may not be around by the next chapter. I liked this book, but it isn't for everyone. Definitely not a feel good story. It can't compare to Blood Red Road as far as dystopia goes. This book is set in modern times and I'm sure it is poised for a sequel, things are certainly not resolved by the end. Will I read the sequel ?- time will tell. I have 25 books on a shelf waiting to be read and another box on its way. Counting the days to Christmas break so I can make a dent in that pile. What's next you ask? Well Will Herondale is back in A Clockwork Prince and I cannot wait to see what he is up to . (He is a top ten fictional boy, you know) Well, Will awaits so I will say farewell for now. Happy Reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...