Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Apothecary

I don't know if I've said this before, but I hate reading books people recommend. Weird- I know. So sometimes in my book club, I get passive aggressive and don't read the book. Yes- hypocritical for someone who is recommending books all the time. I decided to man up and read this book. We are meeting on Monday, so I sat down and opened up the book to read it. And was pleasantly surprised. Maile Meloy wrote a great little novel. It is the story of Janie- who is forced to flee America to London with her "communist" parents in 1952. She meets the son of the Apothecary and finds him interesting. Benjamin wants nothing to do with his father's business, he wants to be a spy. Well- be careful what you wish for. Janie and Benjamin get wrapped up in a bit of international intrigue, including finding a way to stop an atom bomb. Along the way they meet Pip, get arrested and turn both invisible and into birds. "After all, its important to allow for possibilities" This is a charming book, the action never stops. The characters are very entertaining. The magic is fun and the hopefulness of the story is inspiring. Janie and Benjamin are quite a team and if you allow for possibilities, you will enjoy it too. I suppose it could have a sequel, but it doesn't need it. It was a great way to sneak some history in when you aren't looking. Happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...