Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Monstrumologist

This book has left me puzzled. It took me a while to finish it and I think I only did that to see if I could. I wanted to love it. I don't think I do. It is about Will Henry, an orphan, who lives with Dr. Pellinore Walthrop- a monstrumologist. They go on a hunt to track down a pack of Anthropophagus- headless creatures who feast on humans. It is violent and extraordinarily bloody for a YA book. It is also not an easy read, and I find it hard to imagine which of my students could make it through and understand it. I think Jack the Ripper is in the story as a fellow monster hunter. I like Will Henry, he is an engaging character. I like monster books. But something isn't sitting right with this one for me. I'm glad I'm done, I won't read the sequel and I'm ready to move on to something more pleasant- like dystopian fiction. Because even I, who has read it all, found parts of this book stomach turning. Step lively Will Henry Snap to! and Happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...