Sunday, November 2, 2014

Shadow and Bone

I must admit, I have seen this book on bookstore shelves for a while and ignored it. Why? Who can remember. Then there comes the chance that Leigh Bardugo may come and speak at our school due to a strange set of circumstances-( one of my all time favorite days at work) so I thought I best read her book to be prepared to fawn at her feet. And fawn I will. This story of two orphans who only have each other who grow up to be the only hope of their country was wonderful. It has everything I love in a book. A dashing hero. A clever heroine who doesn't know her own strength. A dastardly villain who you may like in the beginning until he does something- well- dastardly. An alternate time period and setting with natural perils everywhere. Oh, and a little romance. Alina and Mal have grown up thinking they are nothing- just two orphans making their way through a tricky world. When they find themselves traveling through the Fold, Alina finds herself saving Mal from the Volcra by unleashing some crazy power she doesn't know she has. This sets her on a path to the Darkling- the most powerful man in the land and away from Mal, her only friend. Alina feels like Mal has deserted her and she can't understand why. As she is drawn to the Darkling's charm, she finds herself wondering if she could see a life without Mal by the Darkling's side. Then it all goes awry as all good adventures do. Alina runs for her life and lo and behold, who finds her but- you guessed it- Mal. What will become of them when the Darkling tracks them down? Will Alina be powerful enough to stand up to him? Stay tuned for the sequel, Siege and Storm, which unfortunately, I don't own yet. Don't worry, I will soon. But until then it's November and the weather is finally turned bearable, so it's warm drinks and cozy blankets on chilly weekends. Happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...