Saturday, May 21, 2016

Mosquitoland

After 660 pages of supernatural Shadowhunter goodness, I decided to step back into reality with this book by David Arnold. Mim comes from a line of women who have mental illness and her father is determined to keep her off that path. Mim does not appreciate his efforts and sets out on a quest to see her mother- who she has found out- is sick. Of course, Mim is rather strong willed and does not inform her father or stepmother of her intentions and steals a can  of money and hops on a Greyhound bus to get to Cleveland, where her mom is in the hospital. Along the way she meets both kindhearted and nefarious characters, all who change her perceptions on life. Arlene, Carl, Poncho Man, Ahab and most of all, Beck and Walt. Those two help her realize what it means to have friends who become family so quickly you don't even realize it is happening. Mim is not exactly a reliable narrator and you are never sure that what she sees and does is actually happening. At one point, I had a small heart attack when I thought .... well, I don't want to ruin that for you. I really liked this book, it had such a heart and soul and honesty. I don't know that every middle schooler would relate, but the more mature reader who loves realistic fiction would certainly enjoy this tale. Mim is a powerhouse of personality and will. But I think deep down, she craves family and friends like we all do. This is not a light summer read, but it is worth the time. Happy reading my friends... 5 days until summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...