Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Scorpio Races

It isn't often that I am left speechless about a book. It isn't often I stop reading a book because I don't want it to end. Nothing I say here will do this book justice. But I'm going to try. This book is like a cool breeze blowing off the ocean. It is a whispered promise of the power of love. It is a piece of your favorite cake shared with friends. It satisfied my soul. Too dramatic? Too bad. This is the tale of Puck and Sean and the water horses of Thisby Island. It is about loyalty. It is about courage. It is about family. It is about strength of character. It is about believing in yourself no matter what everyone else is saying. It is about standing for something in the face of adversity. It is about finding someone who shares your soul. Puck is a teenage girl whose parents were killed by the capaill uisce on the water. Sean is a teenage boy whose father is killed in the Scorpio Races by the capaill uisce. It is the story of Corr, the horse that Sean loves and the story of Dove, the horse that Puck loves. It is about a race that claims more lives than it allows to finish. Both Puck and Sean have extraordinary reasons they must win the race, saving a horse or saving a house and family. Puck will be the first girl to ever ride in the race. Sean has won for the last four years. The stakes are phenomenal. Of course the stakes change as relationships are built. Oh, there is the usual bad guy, Mutt Malvern, the son of the stable owner. There is the threat that Puck's brother is going to leave for the mainland and never come back. There is the fact that Puck is riding a regular horse and not one of the capaill uisce (water horses). And there is the fact that Puck and Sean have fallen in love. This is a quiet book and it's hero, Sean Kendrick, is a quiet hero. He is still and thoughtful and spare of movement. I want to be more like him. Puck is all elbows and emotion and heart. Together, they are the perfect pair. I even love the "American" George Holly , who is on the island to buy horses. Gosh, I'm sad this book is over. The end was a complete surprise, even though I snuck some peaks. I hope you read this book. I hope you get goosebumps like I did. I hope you love Sean and Puck like I do. Let me know. Happy Reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...