Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Flesh and Bone

Oh, John Maberry. I am not happy with you and your dreadful books. You broke my heart in the last one and yet I came back for number 3. What little heart I had left is now in pieces. I had to see how the gang was holding up after Tom's warrior death. Not well at all. As Benny, Nix and their friends Lilah and Chong make their way farther into the Ruin, they encounter a whole new level of crazy. What I love about these books is that the zombies are not the most evil creatures in the story, the humans are. The new batch of evil is the Night Church, led by Saint John- a psychopathic serial killer. He leads a bunch of Reapers, who roam the Ruin leading people to darkness. You see, their mission is to wipe all humans off the face of the earth. As Benny and his group encounter this cult, they are separated and each find a new character to help them on their quest. Their new destination is Sanctuary, a place where they are trying to cure the plague and help the sick. Its location is quite clever, and I'll let you discover that for yourselves dear friends. Along the way, our band of plucky zombie hunters have to deal with their overwhelming grief for all they have lost. I love that Tom's voice guides them all when they need to be 'Warrior Smart'. The kids find a jet filled with research that may save the world. But it may not be in time to save one of their own. While these books are about a zombie apocalypse, they are also about so much more. This one questions how we deal with grief, how much love can guide us to make impossible choices and how even in the midst of a world ending, there is still hope. I know I will pick up the next book as soon as it comes out because the crazies are heading for Benny's home town, but I will do it with a heavy heart and the hopes that Maberry will stop killing the ones I love. Until then, be warrior smart my friends and have a Happy Thanksgiving! Happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...