Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Raven Boys

I am in shock that it has been a month since I finished a book. My job is really getting in the way of my reading. I have stacks and stacks of books waiting to be read and more coming on the horizon. I had the chance to see two great authors- David Levithan and Rachel Cohn- speak. I've graded masses of papers and watched hours of mindless tv. Today was the day I decided I had to finish the newest book by Maggie Stiefvater. I don't know what took so long. She wrote my all time favorite YA book- The Scorpio Races and I was so looking forward to reading this one. It tells the story of four boys who go to an exclusive boarding school. They are best friends led by the enigmatic Gansey. They are looking for the Ley line so they can awaken the king Glendower and get granted a wish. They meet up with Blue, who comes from a family of psychics who have always predicted she would kill her true love with a kiss. As she waits on the Corpse road to see who will die in the next year, she encounters the ghost of Gansey. When he arrives in the flesh at her house for a reading, she becomes entangled in the Raven Boys quest for the king. Wow, that sounded really complicated. This book is filled with interesting characters, Ronan- the hot headed roommate who drops a bomb on the last page. Noah- the rumpled roommate who is keeping a secret of his own. Adam- the boy trying to escape his upbringing to fit into the ultra elite world of Aglionby Academy. And the women in Blue's life, her mother, Maura, Calla and Persephone , women with the power to see things. As the plot carries along, each plays a part in the quest for Glendower. I really enjoyed the book and look forward to the next two. Will it know The Scorpio Races out of the top spot- not quite, but it will keep me coming back for more. Happy reading my friends! It's good to be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...