Sunday, September 30, 2012

Throne of Glass

If you asked me if I liked fantasy books, I would say no. But all evidence points to the fact that this isn't true. I just finished Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas. It tells the tale of a teenage assassin, Celeana Sardothian. She is wasting away as a slave in the Endovier salt mines. One day the king's guard comes and retrieves her to compete in a competition to become the King's Assassin. If she wins, she will be granted her freedom. Celeana hates the king and wants to kill him, but as the competition becomes fierce, she finds herself willing to take the job. Of course she is joined by two men, Dorian, the King's son and Chaol, captain of the King's Guard. Both men find her irresistible for reasons they can't explain. Chaol keeps his distance, while Dorian dives in with both feet. Celeana is torn by her feelings and knows that whatever decision she makes will hurt someone. As the competition goes on, Champions are being found dead and dismembered as someone has released an ancient evil in the castle. Celeana thinks it may be her friend Nehemia, a princess, who is doing the evil to retaliate against the King and his slaughter of her people. Or it could be Duke Pennington who wears a mysterious ring and is manipulating members of the kingdom for his own gains. Celeana risks her life to find out who is behind the deaths and on the brink of death herself, her friends come to her rescue. This book is along the lines of The Demon King and Bitterblue, two of my favorites. Celeana is a spunky assassin who also loves pretty dresses and parties. She longs for freedom above all else and knows she may have two do terrible things to get it. Dorian and Chaol are great characters, both who would be worthy of her attention. I look forward to many more books in this series. So ask me again if I like fantasy books and I think the answer has to be YES! The Raven Boys finally arrived and I look forward to starting that next. Happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...