Sunday, September 2, 2012

Everneath

Well, it's been a while my friends. School started and it has really taken a toll on my reading time. I mean really- a month between books, what the heck. I'm not completely sure it is just because of work. The book I have been reading, Everneath by Brodi Ashton, didn't make me want to spend my few spare moments reading. It's not because it wasn't enjoyable, I did wind up liking it. It was because I didn't think I could take one more supernatural book where the hero and heroine have to fight to be together. But if I don't get over that, then I think my reading choices will be limited. Lol. This is the story of Nikki and Jack. Nikki has disappeared without a trace and Jack is distraught. Nikki has gone to the Everneath with Cole who spends a hundred years feeding off her emotions. She went willingly after a misunderstanding with Jack. When she survives the Feed, she comes back to say goodbye to everyone she loves before she is dragged to the Tunnels where she will have to stay forever. Cole, however, wants her to become an Everliving and be his queen. She isn't willing to feed off others and fights Cole the entire way, preferring death to that kind of life. As her time on the surface dwindles down, she and Jack try and figure out a way to defeat the inevitable. They rekindle their love, while trying to keep Cole at bay. When Nikki realizes how she can escape her fate, she must decide if she is willing to sacrifice her greatest love to save herself. This is a play on the Persephone myth and it contains a good deal of other mythology as well. Jack is a great hero and Cole is a dastardly villain. The book ends with a twist and leave plenty of room for the inevitable sequel. I will most certainly have to read it to find out what happens next. In the meantime, as one of my students informed me- the sequel to Michael Vey is out and calling my name. Sorry to have been gone so long, but it's good to be back. Happy reading my friends and here is to a successful, book filled school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...