Saturday, September 8, 2012

UnWholly

Where do you begin to change the world? Good question, Neal Shusterman. Anyone who really knows me, knows I have a huge crush on this amazing author. I once had the pleasure to sit at a breakfast table with him at a conference. He's a very kind and soft spoken man. Where he came up with this idea for his series is beyond me, but it has kept me entertained for two books now. If you haven't read book one- Unwind, start there. It is one of those books that keeps getting stolen from my book shelves. It is the story of a society where a parent can decide to 'unwind' their children for whatever reason. Unwinding is when all your parts are donated to others. Yes, you are alive through the unwinding process- one of the creepiest scenes I have ever read. Meet Connor- a boy whose parents have decided is irredeemable. Risa- a brilliant pianist whose foster parents decide the mistake she made at her recital was unforgiveable. Lev- a tithe, who has know his whole life he is destined to be donated to the unwinding process- and what an honor. UnWholly continues with these characters. Connor and Risa are at the Graveyard (an old airplane base) trying to keep the AWOLs alive. It is getting harder and harder to survive and the pressure is getting to Connor. Risa, in a wheelchair, sacrifices herself to save another child and is set on a horrifying path. Lev is trying to find his way back to Connor in order to save the world. And meet the newest member to this cast- Cam, who is made COMPLETELY from unwinds. He wants Risa. Our newest villain is Starkey, a storked baby, who has a GIGANTIC chip on his shoulder. Shusterman has woven a thrilling path, leaving these characters with huge choices to make. I loved this book, it raises so many ethical questions. It was even better because I wasn't expecting a sequel, let alone a trilogy. I love a book that makes you think while it is entertaining you and I look forward to the conclusion of this trilogy. If you find you like it, check out his other books, you won't be disappointed. Happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...