Sunday, November 4, 2012

Tilt

My father lives in Carson City, so the novels of Ellen Hopkins are especially interesting to me. She mentions places I've been or heard about and I keep hoping to run into her sometime when I am up there. If you have never read one of her books, be warned, they are not for the young. She deals with serious teenage problems and does not shy away from graphic detail. So of course, my students love them (the ones on my shelves, anyway) Tilt is the story of three teenagers, Mikki- who finds herself pregnant. Harley- a girl trying to figure out how to fit in. And Shane- a gay teenager finding first love. Of course these are just the three main characters whose stories are told in free verse poetry. There are a plethora of other fascinating characters that inhabit this world. She has also include black pages that give the perspective of other characters. While the subject matter includes sex, drugs, rape and unexpected pregnancy, one thing is certain, in the world of Ellen Hopkins, there are always consequences for your actions. Nothing is glamourized and there isn't always a happy ending. I think that is why teens can really relate to these books. She has a way of weaving all the characters stories together and the writing is lovely. This is a companion novel to an adult novel called Triangles, which I haven't read but plan to. These books are a window into the world of todays teenager and an eye-opening look at the reality that certain choices will bring you. So here's to one day bumping into Ellen Hopkins in Carson City and happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...