Monday, March 25, 2013

Clockwork Princess

I will start by saying I am completely aware that these are fictional characters. That being said, my heart is ripped open by this conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy by Cassandra Clare. Tears were shed, multiple times I might add. We have the story of Tessa, Jem and Will. Both boys are in love with her. They are parabatai- closer than blood, sworn to die for each other, heart of each other's heart. When Jem tells Will he and Tessa are engaged, Will does the selfless thing and steps out of the picture. But Jem is dying and he doesn't have long to live. Amidst all this drama, Mortmain is gathering his automaton army that he has infused with Demon spirits. They are set to attack and end the Shadowhunters once and for all. Tessa is the key to his evil plan and she is kidnapped, setting in motion a race for Will to save her, while Jem is dying at the Institute. Jem sends Will after her, and Will feels the severing of their parabatai bond as he is racing to Tessa. This can only mean one thing, Jem has died. Or has he. If you read my post on City of Lost Souls you know my theory on what happens to Jem. But I won't give it away here. The institute, the Lightwood brothers, Will's sister and the Branwells, several Silent Brothers  and crowd favorite Magnus Bane converge on Mortmain's castle to stop the automatons and save Tessa. I won't go into details. That isn't the part that broke my heart. It is the goodbye's between Jem and his loves- Will and Tessa. It is the declarations of love between the three. It is the epilogue that sees the end of Will, as all mortals must face. It is the reunion on Blackfriar's Bridge. It is the humor in the banter between Will and every other character.  It is these events that shape the book and series and why Jem and Will will always be on the top of my top ten fictional boys list. It wraps up the who's who of the Shadowhunters in the Mortal Instruments series. So, not to be dramatic, there is a hole in my heart right now. I'm sad it's over, but so glad I took the ride.   If you read this series, I hope you find satisfaction in its conclusion. If anyone can solve a love triangle, it appears to be Cassandra Clare. Well done. Off to dry my eyes now and plan a trip to Wales... I wish- happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...