Saturday, March 22, 2014

Every You, Every Me

I love David Levithan's books. He always seems to find a new story to tell. This one is no different. Evan has lost Ariel. You don't know what has happened to her, but you do know it is destroying Evan. Then he starts finding pictures around town and Ariel is in some of them. They start to haunt Evan and he shares them with Jack, who had been Ariel's boyfriend. Evan and Jack are feeling extreme guilt for whatever has happened to Ariel on that day. As the photographs keep coming, Evan feels himself unraveling day by day. Even his friends are starting to doubt him. Who is sending them the pictures? Could it be Evan himself? This is an interesting storytelling method. Evan's thoughts are crossed out, he has a constant stream of consciousness thing going on. There are mysterious pictures, kind of hard to see to add to the confusion Evan is feeling. As the story is told, you get glimpses into how disturbed Ariel was and how much it changed her friends. It wasn't my favorite book of Levithan's- that honor goes to Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, but I'm glad to have read it. I love how the concept came to be, he had a friend send him pictures and he wrote the story around them. The friend didn't know what he was writing until the book was done. I really like knowing how authors come up with story ideas. I'm hoping for one of my own one day. lol. Anyway, if you are looking for something different, this may be the story for you. Happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...