Friday, June 16, 2017

The Passion of Dolssa

I will start with this- I don't think my 8th graders will have any interest in this book. That being said, i really liked it. Dolls is a mystic- she believes she talks to God, that she is his bride. In the 1200's this could get you burned at the stake as a heretic. So Dolssa is sentenced to die and somehow escapes and runs for her life. Botille, a 17 year old matchmaker, finds her on the side of the road and is compelled to help her. This could condemn Botille and her sisters to face the same fate. But Dolssa saves Botille's sister from death and the sisters become her biggest supporters, no matter what this will lead to. The Inquisitors, led by Lucien are determined to find Dolssa and enact her punishment, but Lucien is strangely conflicted about her. He may believe she is a miracle worker. As he gets closer and closer to finding her, the entire town becomes complicit to the crime of hiding Dolssa as she has helped everyone in the town with something miraculous. Unfortunately, Lucien finds her and with the threat of extraordinary punishment, the town cannot stand by her any longer. The sisters must run for their lives and forever hide from the Inquisition, never really finding peace and safety as there is no statute of limitations for the crime of being a heretic. I am always amazed by religious persecution, because, by nature, religion should be kindness and understanding. But throughout time and even present day, the atrocities committed in the name of religion are many. We do not seem to learn from the past, but just find new ways to destroy each other in the name of piety. I love historical fiction so I couldn't put this down once I started but I don't think I have met the student yet who would enjoy or follow this story. But there is always next year! Happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...