Sunday, June 18, 2017

Blackhearts

I must confess, I love pirate stories, shows, movies, etc. After finishing watching Black Sails, I found Blackbeard fascinating. Of course, they destroyed him in one of the last episodes, but to take to the sea and live the life of a pirate sounds freeing. Except for never being clean and having to eat fish of course. So when I found this book, it immediately came home with me. This is the story of Edward Teach, son of a merchant, longing for life at sea. And Anne, the daughter of a slave and rich merchant who winds up in the house of Edward's father as a maid. (That is a tale in itself) As Anne and Teach encounter each other, sparks fly and they soon must admit they were made for adventure and each other. But society will not have it. Nor will Edward's father. When the truth of their romance gets out, trouble abounds and dastardly deeds occur. I love the thought of an origin story of someone so notorious. I love the way the author created the set of circumstances for the life of an infamous pirate. I love Anne and her fierce independence and her will to find her place in the world. And I hopefully will love the love story that may take place, that I hope book two will provide. I couldn't put this one down, and loved every page. I can't wait to see how they find each other and how Blackbeard comes to be. Yo ho my friends and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...