Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Blood Rose Rebellion

Sometimes it is strange how books imitate life. I have been thinking about my next trip and planning where I want to go. My friend just got back from Hungary and I think that may be my next destination. So when I randomly picked this book up off my overflowing shelves, lo and behold, it takes place in Hungary. Weird-eh? Anna lives in a time where magic rules the world. And those that have access to magic rule society. Unfortunately for Anna, even though she comes from a magical family, she herself has no magic. This makes her unsavory to the high society set. Not only that, she seems to make any spells set in her presence go all wonky. When she is sent away with her Grandmother to Hungary, she begins to figure out what she is and how her power could actually break the world. Along the way she meets her cousins Noemi and Matyas as well as revolutionaries determined to break the Binding that limits the common man's access to magic. She also finds herself drawn into the world of the Romani- especially Gabor- who tries to help her channel her magic. Theirs is a forbidden relationship for many reasons. (Some of which still exist today) Anna must make decisions that will put those she loves in danger as well as the world order. Big decisions for an impetuous teenager. I liked the historical aspect of this novel, but I wasn't really connected to the characters. I didn't find myself drawn into their world. But I love reading about history and how people have fought throughout time to find some level of equality. It is a universal problem still a concern now more than ever. You'll have to decide about his one yourself. Happy Reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...