Saturday, June 23, 2012

Unnatural

Well, it isn't often I am puzzled as to what to do with a book. It goes on my shelf. I don't usually censor unless there is something graphic in the content, and then i just put it behind my desk, like some Ellen Hopkins books. But Unnatural by Michael Griffo has me a little stumped. It is called An Archangel Academy novel. It isn't about Angels. It is about two breeds of vampires who lurk about the halls of this school in England trying to destroy each other. Stuck in the middle of this feud is newcomer Michael, who hales from Nebraska. He has just lost his mother and his father comes to take him back to London to live. Michael is thrilled, as he just doesn't fit in in his small town where he is being bullied because he is gay. When he arrives at the academy, he locks gazes with Ronan and it is love at first bite for both of them. (pun intended) Ronan has been waiting for Michael for what seems like an eternity (again pun intended) and the two quickly embark on a passionate relationship. What Michael doesn't know is that he is surrounded by vampires. When he tells Ronan he wants to be with him forever, Ronan quickly makes that come true. Of course, Michael didn't know that Ronan meant For-ev-er literally. Michael feels betrayed and a little freaked out and Ronan has to find a way to convince him that this is the best thing to happen to both of them. So, the question becomes, do I put this on my bookshelf as there is lots of sex. I just don't know if the immature boys I usually have in my class would be able to handle it. But I also know it may be reaching an audience that there are not a lot of book choices for. I enjoyed the book, it is stylistically different that a lot of books, you know what is going on in  everyone's heads and really have to pay attention to the font etc. to see who is talking. This is a series and I will read the next ones as the story is interesting. I'm mad that I even have to think about where this book will go, but such is the nature of teenagers. I will ponder this a while longer but in the meantime- happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...