Monday, January 21, 2013

Necromancing the Stone

I don't know what I love the most about this series. The humor, the friendships, the song titles as chapter titles, the messages... I guess just all of it. We pick up with Sam after the death of the evil Douglas. He is trying to make his way as a council member, a necromancer and the head of a supernatural household. The gnomes are wrecking havoc on him, the bushes are out to get him, and the Minotaur keeps slashing his tires. With the help of his friends he is able to at least get his household in some kind of order. Of course James is there to help- but whose side is he really on? Oh, and how is Ramon doing as a were-bear? Sam is really tested when -spoiler alert- Brannoc is killed. The pack and Brid need him to summon Brannoc and find out who killed him. But when Brannoc won't appear, Sam is thrown into suspicion with the pack and Brid must break up with him as she tries to gain control as the new pack leader. This book is filled with the greatest characters, each one better than the next. I don't even know who I love best. Is it James, who tries to protect Haley even agains his orders? Is it Sean, who is Sam's new bodyguard and biggest supporter? Is it Ramon, determined to protect his friends even at his own peril? Is it Frank, who is taken in by the gnomes and made one of their own? Is it the gnomes- total crack up- their names alone set me off on a laughing spree? Or is it Sam, the self-deprecating necromancer who must make his own rules? Fantastic. This is the kind of book I wish I could write- so clever and funny and filled with heart. Since I didn't, I'll just have to be satisfied with the fact that I had the chance to read it.  It is a sequel, but it could stand alone, nah- go back and read the first- Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride and join the family. "Keep the Faith" and happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...