Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Holy Great Book Batman!!

I have to admit, I sometimes read a book reluctantly. My book club picked this one and I was afraid it was going to be along the line of The Lightning Thief . Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed that series, but it was on the younger end of things. So I sucked it up and read Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini because it is a longer book and my book club meets next week. Let me ask you this, do you remember the first time you read Twilight? I mean before the ridiculous hype of it? Have you been looking for something to take it's place? This book just might be it. Don't be turned off if you didn't like Twilight- this one isn't about vampires. It is about Greek Demigods- called Scions. It has all  the requirements, beautiful girl, spectacular boy, warring families, oracles, fighting, teen angst etc. Only for a change, the female lead is NOT helpless, she is actually the most powerful of them all. Helen is a shy girl, who tries to hide herself from the world. She doesn't know what she really is. Her mother left her when she was a baby and she is being raised by her mortal dad. Then the Delos clan come to the island and each is more spectacular than the next- especially Lucas. But Helen sees Lucas and wants to literally kill him. And she tries. This leads her to finding out who she is and how powerful she can become. So as you may have guessed, she and  Lucas don't kill each other, but as the title tells us, their love will wind up being starcrossed. Can they break the cycle of Greek mythology that tears families apart or will they have to resist their love forever. All the characters in this story are great- love Jason and Hector as well. Of course this book is not the end, as it is primed for a sequel or two. I will look forward to another book for sure and Lucas goes in the top 5 of my favorite fake boys. Watch out Jace, you might have some competition here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...