Monday, June 20, 2011

What happened to goodbye?

I hate Sarah Dessen. I know that sounds harsh. I was dragged into reading The Truth About Forever by my book club. I hate that she writes these books that I can't put down. I hate that she writes these characters that reek of realism. I hate that she finds a way in all her books to make me cry. So when I say I hate Sarah Dessen, I hate that I don't mean it. I put off reading this book because I knew when I was done I would be sad that it was over, would need tissues and would have new characters that would forever be in my memory. What Happened to Goodbye is the story of Mclean, who is not handling her parents divorce very well. She lives with her dad, who moves around a lot as he rehabilitates restaurants. Mclean is mad at her mother as she blames her for the dissolution of her family. She copes by reinventing herself in each new school, drama geek, goth, student council joiner. She changes her name at each stop as well. As they arrive in this new place, she fully intends to do the same thing. But something happens, and she realizes that making connections to other people isn't such a bad thing. Of course, there is a cute neighbor named Dave who helps her with this realization. If you hate Sarah Dessen as much as I do, this is the book for you- just keep the tissues close and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...