Sunday, July 29, 2012

Bewitching

I really enjoy Alex Flinn's books. This one is no different. It takes fairy tales to a new and interesting level. It is the story of the witch Kendra and how she is involved in many of the fairy tales we are all familiar with. She starts with Hansel and Gretel, The Little Mermaid, The Princess and the Pea, Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast. The fairy tales are wound around the main character Emma, who Kendra has decided to help. Emma has a stepsister and stepfather and the story is a twist to the typical Cinderella tale. It got off to a slow start, but once it got going, man it was really clever and enjoyable. Kendra is a witch who admits her faults and mistakes. Emma is a normal girl who is trying to get some self esteem. Together, they really make an interesting friendship. The story gives lots of glimpses into history, as a matter of fact, she has tied the Titanic to the Little Mermaid. So, once upon a time, I read another terrific Alex Flinn book, I hope you find the time to do the same. Happily ever after  reading my friends!

1 comment:

  1. It has been a while since I have visited (and by a while, I mean since about May because my end of the year was nuts also). I am so excited to go book shopping with my B&N gift card from our book fair now that I have a long list of recommendations from you!! I continue to be inspired by you!! Here's to my ever growing library... because I learned from the best :)

    ReplyDelete

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...