Friday, July 6, 2012

Michael Vey The Prisoner of Cell 25

Wow- this was a fast one. I picked it up yesterday and finished it this morning. Michael is a 15 year old living in Idaho with his mom. His best friend Ostin (his mom couldn't spell) is a genius. They are bullied at school by Jack and Wade. Michael has a crush on cheerleader Taylor. One day after school the bullies corner Michael and try to pants him. He has had enough and unleashes his power on them. Surprise- he conducts electricity and can shock people. Taylor sees him do this and confronts him. She also tells him that she has similar powers. They find out they are from the 17 children who were present when some hospital equipment malfunctions and are now the 'electric' children. Hatch, head of the Elgin group, wants to collect all the children so he can rule the world. Michael and Taylor are the last two he needed to find. He kidnaps Taylor and Michael's mom and Michael must find a way to get them back. He finds help in the most unlikely places. I really enjoyed this book. Michael is a great character, along with his powers he has Tourette's Syndrome. Ostin is a crack up and uses his brains for good. It was a fast moving story with really short chapters which I think my students will love. It's kind of like the Percy Jackson series without the mythology. It is also very much like X-Men. This is going to be  series and the next book is out in August. I wish I had read this sooner, it's been sitting on my shelf for a while, because I think lots of my students would have loved it. There's always next year, which, unfortunately, is only a few weeks away. I look forward to more adventures with Michael Vey. Happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...