Sunday, July 15, 2012

Vixen

My friend gave me this book. If you know me, you know I don't like that. Weird I know. But as I come to the end of my giant pile, I decided to give this one a try. Good call JP! Vixen takes place in the world of the flappers. Complete with speak-easies, gangsters, debutantes, and interracial love stories, this book takes you on one wild ride. It follows the story of three girls, Gloria- the fiance of a prominent society boy, Lorraine, who is in love with Glo's best friend Marcus and Clara who is running from a flapper past that found her in desperate trouble. These girls come together and get torn apart amid the glamour and danger of 20's Chicago. Gloria wants to break free from her loveless engagement and finds herself singing in a speak easy and falling in love with Jerome, an African American piano player. The scandal any of these activities will cause will bring down her family. Lorraine just wants to be noticed and if that means betraying all her friends, then so be it. She finds herself pulled into the world of gangsters and she may have a hard time getting out of it. Clara is pretending to be a good country girl, but her unexpected love for Marcus finds her being drawn back into the flapper world. This was told in alternating chapters and at a rapid pace. It is for an older crowd, but it was interesting to learn about 20's Chicago and how scandalous the flappers were. This is at least a trilogy, with Ingenue being the next in the series. I will be journeying back to the twenties to see how these girls fare as they set off on the next stages of their lives. Happy reading my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...