Saturday, July 28, 2012

Wentworth Hall

Are you watching Downton Abbey with the rest of the world? Well, I am addicted. So when I saw this book on the shelf, I thought, great, a DA for the YA set. This story is about the Darlingtons. They are an aristocratic family that has seen better days. The daughters, Maggie and Lila, are both trying to figure out how to survive life as a Darlington. Maggie has just spent a year in France and has come back a different person. She won't even look at Michael the groomsmen anymore. Lila is trying to be noticed as the less flashy sister. The people in service are also trying to find their ways. Therese, the mysterious French nanny, Nora, the gossipy maid and Michael the dashing groomsmen all have secrets of their own. And to top it all off someone is writing a satire of life at the manor that doesn't paint them in a good light. But the big question is who is really baby James's mother.... and father for that matter. This was a light, fast read that really wrapped up quickly. I guess I was hoping for more Downton than I got from this version, but is that really fair? It is a great introduction to what life was like when people were in service and girls had little choice in how their lives would turn out. So all and all, I'd say this was a nice book, but won't make my top ten for anything this summer. Happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...