Sunday, June 26, 2016

The Rose Society

Let me start by saying the Legend series by Marie Lu is one of my favorites (except for the end). But I really am having trouble connecting to this Young Elites series. I have had this second book sitting on my shelf for a while and decided to give it a try. I guess I just don't like a book told from the villain's point of view. Adeline is unlikeable most of the time. And this book is really all about her and her need to destroy. I realize it comes from a place of insecurity and loneliness but even in her vulnerable moments it is super hard to connect to her. In this novel, she is seeking revenge on everyone. The Inquisitors who tried to burn her at the stake and the Daggers who threw her out of their society. She sets out to build her own group with her sister. They search for the thief Magiano in order to convince him to follow her as she seeks the thrown left behind in Enzo's death. When he agrees to follow her, she is able to collect a band of misfits who the Daggers wouldn't take. Meanwhile the Daggers are attempting to bring Enzo back from the dead. Raffaele, however, thinks this is a terrible idea and encourages them to not do this. They don't listen, Adeline gets involved, and low and behold Enzo is back, but not the Enzo they knew and loved. All the groups converge in a huge battle in which no one is a winner. This is a dark book that has left me ambivalent about the rest of the series. I do like Magiano and Sergio. But I'm not sure if that is enough. I am hoping Adeline is reformed in the next book, but her powers are so dark and twisted I don't know if it can be done. So, read at your own risk if you want a different kind of narrator. Happy reading my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Court of Silver Flames

 Not shelf appropriate for middle school. That being said- Nessa and Cassian. If you know you know. Happy reading my ADULT friends. Now we n...